From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for LCD Data Center
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 06:23:56
1 On 20 August 2011, at 10:40, czernitko wrote:
2 > …
3 > I've recently bought LCD television from Panasonic (TX-L32E30E Viera). It is connected to my home LAN and it should be able to access data on local computers using some Data Center feature. From what I've heard, it is something little bit different than common NFS/Samba sharing. It should be natively supported by Win7 and there may be some applications for WinXP. Unfortunately no applications were shipped on CD with the telly. I wonder whether there is some way to connect my home Gentoo server to the telly? Is there any linux application/specific Samba configuration/...? Have anyone tried anything similar?
4
5 I've just checked the telly's specifications page [1] and, as per Mick's reply, it does appear to be DNLA you're thinking of.
6
7 DNLA is rubbish - it's a "standard" so wide that it's no use as a standard any more. Manufacturers can choose such small subsets of features to implement, and have such freedom in *how* they implement features, that no two devices need ever work together - they can still all call themselves "DNLA compliant".
8
9 So don't rely on DNLA - there are sure to be plenty of good video formats unsupported by your TV - but you might also check out MediaTomb, an alternative DNLA server.
10
11 Stroller.
14 [1] http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/eu2011/product/e_lcd.html