From: Sebastian Wiesner <basti.wiesner@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6.25-r6 oddities; is this kernel really ready for stable?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:53:19
1 "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@×××××.com> at Thursday 24 July 2008, 03:26:26
2 > On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > On Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
6 > >> I run gentoo x86 stable, so that I usually avoid this sort of thing.
7 > >>
8 > >> This kernel, however, looks balky to me, because it's reporting
9 > >> warnings and other oddities during compilation. I don't like warnings
10 > >> at any time, and with the kernel's make wrappers cleaning up the
11 > >> output they tend to stand out.
12 > >>
13 > >> Here's what I get:
14 > >> -- various type/attribute warnings
15 > >
16 > > harmless.
17 > >
18 > >> -- reports of deprecated elements
19 > >
20 > > even more harmless
21 > >
22 > >> -- a report of "section mismatches", and instructions to use "make
23 > >> CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y" to find details.
24 > >
25 > > completly harmless.
26 > >
27 > > All three 'problems' can be safely ignored. So do it.
28 >
29 > And how would I know they're harmless. No offense, but I don't know
30 > enough about you to evaluate your skill or knowledge.
31 >
32 > I have seen lots of build problems over the decades, but these are new
33 > to me. What I see is that for some time now, kernel builds have been
34 > utterly clean, admirably free from the tedious command-line echoes
35 > that obscure any real information from compiler/linker/whatever build
36 > tools.
37
38 You were ever able to built a kernel without warnings?! You certainly must
39 have some magic in your hands ;) Kernel developers always had a dismissive
40 attitude towards compiler warnings, non-serious warnings are rarely fixed.
41
42 > So what's a poor user to do? Believe the first poster responding with
43 > (apparent) authority? Maybe. I'm just going to stay away for a while
44 > and see what shakes out.
45
46 Obviously, despite all the warnings, a proper kernel binary was created.
47 You wouldn't stop using a software just because of all the warnings, that
48 are issued by a normal emerge, so why to are you taking warnings during a
49 kernel build so much more serious?
50
51 > >> All that being said, the compilation completes, and I can boot it. I
52 > >> don't know the cause, but I have been unable to get vmware-server
53 > >> running on it, and I'm going back to the previous kernel for that
54 > >> reason.
55 > >
56 > > complain to vmware - it's their closed source crap that doesn't work.
57 >
58 > I have less clout with vmware than I have with the kernel team, I
59 > would guess, because I don't pay either one, but at least the kernel
60 > team are not in business to get money from me. But reasonable
61 > virtualization is essential to some of my own projects, and I have to
62 > stick with it. If I have to, I'll learn a different tools set, but
63 > it's not something I take up lightly.
64
65 And what are the kernel developers supposed to do regarding vmware? And
66 should a closed source software, that's most likely only used by a minority
67 of Gentoo users, really stop all the other users from profiting from a
68 newer and probably faster and more stable kernel?
71 Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters.
72 (Rosa Luxemburg)