From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Curious pattern in log files from ssh...
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:16:42
1 Steve wrote:
2 > [...]
3 > Sure, I could use IPtables to block all these bad ports... or... I could
4 > disable password authentication entirely... but I keep thinking that
5 > there has to be something better I can do... any suggestions?
6
7 I'm using DenyHosts to battle this. It adds the IPs to /etc/hosts.deny
8 after a configurable amount of failed logins. It even downloads an
9 online list of IPs where attacks originate from and uploads attacks to
10 your box to this list too (if you allow it in the configuration).
11
12 After I installed this, no more brute-forcing :) I used to have
13 thousands per day.
14
15 http://www.denyhosts.net
16