From: Anton Molyboha <anton.stay.connected@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is there rpcgen in Gentoo and how to compile dev-perl/Ace?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 00:50:14
1 Hi all,
2
3 I am trying to emerge dev-perl/Ace-1.920.0-r2 on my Gentoo Prefix on MacOS
4 and it fails trying to run "rpcgen -I -K -1 rpcace.x" and not finding
5 rpcgen (or rather finding the XCode version of it which I don't want)
6
7 This being Prefix, things are expected to fail, so both options are
8 possible:
9 1) rpcgen is provided by some package which is not listed as a dependency
10 of dev-perl/Ace
11 2) dev-perl/Ace does not really need rpcgen and a proper build
12 configuration would avoid trying to call it.
13
14 As for option 1, Wikipedia says that rpcgen is part of "Sun Microsystems
15 ONC RPC". The only package I could find that would mention sunrpc in the
16 description is net-libs/libtirpc, but I don't see any mention of rpcgen in
17 its sources (I could not emerge it yet either) Maybe I am looking in the
18 wrong place and something else would provide a working rpcgen? There are
19 quite a few rpc-related packages in Gentoo and I would not be able to just
20 try each of them.
21
22 As for option 2 - I don't actually know what dev-perl/Ace is, I need it for
23 bioperl which I need for something else... I don't see any rpc-related use
24 flags and not sure where else to look that would influence its dependence
25 on that rpcgen.
26
27 TL;DR: I have two questions:
28 1) Does anybody know of a Gentoo package which provides the tool "rpcgen"
29 2) Does anybody know how dev-perl/Ace is meant to be compiled and whether
30 the dependence on rpcgen is necessary.
31
32 The information requested by a failing emerge is attached (including the
33 slightly modified ebuild working around previous build failures)
34
35 Thanks in advance!
36
37 Anton

Ace-1.920.0-r2.ebuild application/octet-stream
build.log application/octet-stream
emerge-info.log application/octet-stream
emerge-pqv.log application/octet-stream