From: Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacing my router
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:03:12
1 Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 01:16:37 +1000
3 > Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >> So what I want to do is setup my switch as a router.
9 > No can do.
10 >
11 My switch is a SGE2000P which is also a layer 3 router.
12 >
13 >> I'm a bit of a newbie on advanced networking but I think that a
14 >> router is basically just a switch with a VLAN for the local network
15 >> and VLAN for the WAN. Is this assumption correct?
19 > No, it is not. Those are two different pieces of equipment which work on
20 > different levels of the OSI model. For further assistance, please,
21 > describe clearly what kind of equipment is at your disposal and what
22 > (not how) you are trying to achieve.
23 >
24 The point of the exercise is to remove my 2 consumer grade routers from
25 my network as neither were very good and I wanted to improve the
26 security of my network. I actually got it sorted today but thanks for
27 answering. In case anyones interested I've now got 3 VLAN's. 1 each for
28 each of the Internet connections and 1 for the rest of the LAN. The
29 Gentoo server is on all 3 and runs PPP with PPPoE to each of the
30 'modems'. As a note it's interesting that PPPoE to 2 different devices
31 conflict with each other but putting them on different VLAN's works
32 brilliantly. When a PPP connection fails the ip-down script switches the
33 default route to the ppp1 device and ip-up switches it back to ppp0;
34 very smooth! I'm not using the L3 functionality of the switch as I was
35 originally intending as the server does the routing.
36
37 Cheers,
38
39 Dave