From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:48:11
1 greets ...
2
3 today (at least in my timezone ;-) ) I saw gnome-3.6-related ebuilds
4 coming up on my ~amd64 box ...
5
6 I ran a backup (yes, experience ...) and emerged stuff ... so far it
7 runs OK.
8
9 There are changes and new features and I am still exploring stuff.
10
11 The general question: is it a bug or a feature? ;-)
12
13 for example Alt-leftclick doesn't allow me to move windows right now.
14
15 bug?
16
17 -
18
19 What I'd like to discuss:
20
21 how to start over for a given user? For example, I want to get rid of
22 old stuff from gnome-1.x/2.x or so (I think of my ~-directory, not the
23 overall system). Or even bigger, does it make sense to drop stuff from
24 all those dot-directories in ~ from time to time (e.g. at bigger
25 GUI-upgrades) and only keep some important ones?
26
27 For example I would keep core stuff like .gnupg .ssh .bashrc
28 .thunderbird (in my case) ... but I am sure there is loads of stuff to
29 get rid of.
30
31 Maybe most of it doesn't make a difference (hdd-space is cheap anyways)
32 and isn't even read anymore by recent versions of software. But maybe
33 some files/dirs should get dumped and forgotten.
34
35 Do you gentoo-users have any opinions on this?
36
37 Does it make any sense to re-create my main user(-dir)?
38
39 Stefan