From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: joost@××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:37:27
1 On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:06:12 +0100
2 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Is that one included in the Cyrus ebuild?
5
6 In Cyrus it is an actual feature, see the (first) FAQ[1] entry about
7 Duplicate Delivery Surpression; in imapd.conf you can do
8
9 duplicatesuppression: 1
10
11 to enable this. It might be that because this is an actual feature that
12 the extension isn't implemented; unpacking the source tarball, then
13 insensitive case grepping for 'dupl', I only find the above feature.
14
15 [1]: https://cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/FAQ
16
17 > I ONLY want duplicates that would end up in my inbox to be filtered.
18 > If an email is sent to 2 or more mailing lists, they should end up in
19 > each relevant mailing list folder.
20
21 The procmail filter we have neatly does this by checking the List-Id
22 header; maybe this can be mimicked in a Sieve rule, the rule is simple.
23
24 > With LKML, most people don't stay subscribed for very long as their
25 > mailboxes overflow. On this list, the general consensus is that you
26 > reply to list only unless specifically requested otherwise.
27
28 It's possible to stay subscribed with strict filtering, its
29 reading volume to me is in terms of unread mail currently 5 times as
30 much as this ML; however, I scroll more through the mails there than I
31 do here which makes the effort to process both nearly equal.
32
33 With a higher amount of mailing lists to follow I don't keep a list of
34 exceptions; and therefore, to keep it simple, do the same everywhere.
35
36 Information overflow stays manageable for me if I keep things simple;
37 if I however would start to add manual matching techniques to that, it
38 would become much more unmanageable as instead of being effective I
39 suddenly start doing something what our software is supposed to do.
40
41 > I am subscribed, so no need to add me to the CC.
42
43 As said above, I could put this on a list; but I'll forget about it.
44
45 > If I am really interested in the reply and I would not be in the
46 > list, I would check the archives, which are updated fast enough for
47 > the purpose.
48
49 That is only so if you expect and/or are aware of the reply.
50
51 > The goal only makes sense when replying to emails that are still
52 > relevant. A discussion that is over a month old is usually no longer
53 > relevant.
54
55 Not much has changed since then; and thus, it is still recent enough.
56
57 > Filtering out your emails fully also would avoid this happening.
58
59 It is quite effective.
60
61 > > As for the river / sea, there's no way to convince the river / sea
62 > > to go away; it'll be there, even if you could use a bucket to
63 > > remove me, there'll be another person or so tomorrow.
64 >
65 > On this list, you (people who insist on CC-ing the world) are the
66 > minority.
67
68 On this world, this list (where people that I can count on my fingers
69 insist on not being CC-ed) is a minority.
70
71 Regardless of both being a minority, they'll continue to be present.
74 With kind regards,
75
76 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
77 Gentoo Developer
78
79 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
80 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
81 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D