From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fire the fox.
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 02:10:25
1 On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
4 > On 25 Sep 2010, at 03:17, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > >>> ...
6 > >>>>> I've heard good things about it, but I'm under the impression it is
7 > not free (as in beer). Is that true?
8 > >>> I don't know but I can emerge -q icc
9 > >>
10 > >> There is other non-Free software you can install with Portage.
11 > >>
12 > >> Just yesterday I was looking at games-fps/ut2003 and games-fps/ut2004 -
13 > I
14 > >> believe these require the game's installer CDs to work.
15 > >>
16 > >> I would imagine that if you were to emerge ICC it would require an
17 > >> activation key before it would compile anything, otherwise we'd all be
18 > using
19 > >> it.
20 > >>
21 > >
22 > > Wouldn't that be kind of senseless since the source code is distributed?
23 > > Knowing it would not be hard to bypass the activation key, if they wanted
24 > > money for it they wouldn't let the source code out, license or no
25 > license.
26 >
27 > Just because you can emerge a package doesn't mean the full source is
28 > distributed. It could be a binary package, it could contain a small binary
29 > blob for activation.
30 >
31 > Paul Hartman provides more info in his post of 24 September 2010 23:16:30
32 > GMT+01:00, but I was specifically replying to the assumption or implication
33 > "if it can be emerged it must be free".
34 >
35 > You are right. Thanks for the clarification.
36
37 ++ kevin
42 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD