From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eix-test-obolete
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:22:07
1 On Tuesday 13 May 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > When running `eix-test-obsolete' after update world and
3 > revdep-rebuild I get a list of 14 pkgs under the heading as listed
4 > below.
5 > What does this mean... I'm running ~x86 and have been for yrs so the
6 > ones that show `U' should have gotten updated during ... -vuD world.
7
8 Not necessarily. Perhaps the package is not in world, but is pulled in
9 by something else. Now, if every DEPENDS related to that package simply
10 says any old version must be there, an emerge world will not
11 necessarily pick up any updates. And it should have to: it's not in
12 world, every other package that uses it is quite happy with the version
13 you do have.
16 > root # emerge -vp dev-lang/nasm
17 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
18 > [...]
19 > [ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.02 [2.00] USE="-build -doc" 713 kB
20 >
21 > Shows it will be updated. So why is -vuD world missing this pkg
22 > (and the others)?
23 >
24 > Some.. maybe all show piles of dependencies and some ..(the ones I've
25 > grepped so far) do not appear in world file.
26 >
27 > I guess I don't understand how the system got these packages but
28 > appears not to know much about them.
29 >
30 > ==========================================================
31 > Final output of eix-test-obsolete"
32 > [...]
33
34 See the line below?
35
36 > Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):
37
38 They probably got left behind during gnome updates.
39
40 emerge -av --depclean finds these
43 alan
47 > [U] dev-lang/nasm (2.00@01/02/08 -> (~)2.02): groovy little assembler
48 > [U] gnome-base/gconf (2.14.0(2)@06/20/06 -> (~)2.22.0): Gnome
49 > Configuration System and Daemon
50 > [U] gnome-base/gnome-keyring (0.4.9@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.1): Password
51 > and keyring managing daemon
52 > [U] gnome-base/gnome-vfs (2.14.2-r1(2)@01/16/07 -> (~)2.22.0): Gnome
53 > Virtual Filesystem
54 > [U] gnome-base/libbonobo (2.14.0@06/20/06 -> (~)2.22.0): GNOME CORBA
55 > framework
56 > [U] gnome-base/libbonoboui (2.14.0@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.0): User
57 > Interface part of libbonobo
58 > [U] gnome-base/libgnome (2.14.1@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.0): Essential
59 > Gnome Libraries
60 > [U] gnome-base/libgnomeui (2.14.1@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.1): User
61 > Interface routines for Gnome
62 > [U] gnome-base/orbit (2.14.0(2)@06/20/06 -> 2.14.12): ORBit2 is a
63 > high-performance CORBA ORB
64 > [U] kde-base/kiconedit (3.5.7(3.5)@11/18/07 -> (~)3.5.9): KDE Icon
65 > Editor
66 > [U] net-libs/libgssglue (0.1@10/07/07 -> 0.1-r1): exports a gssapi
67 > interface which calls other random gssapi libraries
68 > [D] www-apps/gallery (2.2.3(2.2.3)@10/08/07 2.2.4(2.2.4)@01/19/08 ->
69 > 1.5.3 (~)1.5.7 2.2.4): Web based (PHP Script) photo album
70 > viewer/creator
71 > [U] x11-misc/icon-naming-utils (0.7.2@06/20/06 -> 0.8.6): Utils to
72 > help with the transition to the new freedesktop.org naming scheme.
73 > [U] x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme (2.14.2@08/14/06 -> (~)2.22.0): GNOME
74 > 2 default icon themes
75 > Found 14 matches.
80 Alan McKinnon