From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious syslog message "."
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:31:51
1 On Friday 29 January 2010 16:26:42 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > Hi.
3 >
4 > So NetworkManager was giving me lots of debugging output. Having a look
5 > on Google shows it doesn't have log levels, so my only option (apart
6 > from turning it off) was to redirect its log output to a separate file.
7 > It's growing quickly (remind me to set up logrotate!)
8 >
9 > After I've removed NetworkManager from /var/log/messages, I'm left with:
10 > Jan 29 23:45:59 orpheus .:
11 > Jan 29 23:46:05 orpheus .:
12 > Jan 29 23:46:11 orpheus .:
13 > Jan 29 23:46:17 orpheus .:
14 > Jan 29 23:46:23 orpheus .:
15 > Jan 29 23:46:29 orpheus .:
16 >
17 > and so on every 6 seconds. I think the "." is supposed to be the
18 > program name, and obviously after the ":" comes the message "".
19 >
20 > Every message seems to exactly correspond to this NetworkManager
21 > message:
22 > Jan 29 23:48:17 orpheus NetworkManager: <WARN>
23 > killswitch_getpower_reply(): Error getting killswitch power: Method
24 > "GetPower" with signature "" on interface
25 > "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KillSwitch" doesn't exist Jan 29 23:48:17
26 > orpheus NetworkManager: <WARN> killswitch_getpower_reply(): Error getting
27 > killswitch power: dellWirelessCtl (/usr/bin/dellWirelessCtl) not available
28 > or executable.
29 >
30 > Note the reference to /usr/bin/dellWirelessCtl (which really doesn't
31 > exist!) If I symlink /usr/bin/dellWirelessCtl to /bin/false, all the
32 > log messages stop and the last one says:
33 >
34 > Jan 29 23:49:35 orpheus NetworkManager: <info> Wireless now disabled by
35 > radio killswitch
36 >
37 > If I leave the symlink there, NetworkManager won't bring up wireless, so
38 > it's a useless "hack".
39 >
40 > I don't really care about any killswitch operation, but I'm interested
41 > in why I'm getting a "." message. NetworkManager bug or
42 > misconfiguration error?
43
44 Run syslog-ng with the -d switch to enable it's debug output (normally to
45 messages), or use -dd to get even more debug output.
46
47 Beware, this adds up real quick, so don't run it for long like that. The
48 output may give you more of a clue as to what syslog-ng thinks the incoming
49 messages are.
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com