From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module names???
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:22:09
1 Andrew Lowe schreef:
2 > Hi all, A simple question, where do I find out modules names? I've
3 > currently got menconfig loaded and trying to decide as to whether to
4 > go static or module. My problem is that I can't find the names of the
5 > modules for most of the options hence how do I know what to load if
6 > it is a module. For exmaple, if I want to use the XFS file system, in
7 > the menuconfig help it says:
8 >
9 > ... choose M here; the module will be called xfs...
10 >
11 > Conversly if I want to use AES encryption there is nothing in the
12 > help that tells me what the module name will be.
15 To some degree, they are:
16
17 The title of the help for the option usually includes something closely
18 related to the module name.
19
20 For CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES_586
21
22 I would guess that the module name might well be aes-586. Apparently
23 there's a 64-bit module as well, but it may be that that doesn't appear
24 in my kernel config because I have already specified that I don't have a
25 64-bit CPU. In any case, the format for the help title is
26
27 CONFIG_GROUPNAME_SOMETHING_LIKE_THE_MODULE_NAME (but module names
28 usually use hyphens where the kernel config uses underscores).
29
30 However, you most likely will not need to load the modules manually
31 anyway; assuming you have automatic kernel module loading enabled, the
32 kernel will load necessary modules when it notices that they are
33 necessary (when a device using the module is detected and initialized).
34 Also, I would not myself think that encryption is the kind of thing
35 you'd want to load only some of the time (so I'd compile it statically
36 anyway).
37
38 Thirdly, are you sure that all of the options that you're looking for
39 the module names for are capable of being compiled as modules? Some aren't.
40
41 In the case that you don't know (it could happen :-) ), options
42 appearing with brackets ("[ ]") can only be compiled statically; options
43 appearing with greater-than/less-than signs ("< >") can be compiled
44 either statically or as modules. So it's also possible that some of the
45 help doesn't contain module names simply because the option cannot be
46 compiled as a loadable module.
47
48 HTH,
49 Holly