From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating old Gentoo on notebook
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:10:54
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 10:35:25AM -0500, Dale wrote
3 >> Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >>> Total: 377 packages (298 upgrades, 52 new, 2 in new slots, 25 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 1,408,922 KiB
5 >>>
6 >>> ...wish me luck.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> Glad to help. I get a lot of help from this list so nice to give back a
10 >> little. ;-)
11 >>
12 >> Happy compiling. Keep the thing cool.
13 > time emerge --changed-use --deep --update @world
14 >
15 > ...gave me...
16 >
17 > * IMPORTANT: 40 config files in '/etc' need updating.
18 > * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
19 > * sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.
20 >
21 > * IMPORTANT: 4 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
22 > * Use eselect news read to view new items.
23 >
24 > * After world updates, it is important to remove obsolete packages with
25 > * emerge --depclean. Refer to `man emerge` for more information.
26 >
27 > real 293m20.427s
28 > user 366m20.734s
29 > sys 71m22.050s
30 >
31 > I also noticed a whole slew of perl packages updating when I ran
32 > "emerge -pv", so I followed up with "perl-cleaner --reallyall", which
33 > went through a bunch of packages. Lesson learned, update the notebook
34 > more often.
38 That's one downside to Gentoo, it doesn't like being stale.  As you just
39 experienced, not updating Gentoo creates a time consuming and often
40 confusing process to get back up to date.  If I were to want to install
41 something that I couldn't keep up to date, update at least once a month,
42 I'd use some other distro for that machine.  Going 3 months or more can
43 lead to enough problems but going a year or so is a big problem.
44 Depending on what all has changed, it can even be faster to reinstall
45 than update.
46
47 If I were advising a new person trying to Gentoo, I'd recommend going no
48 more than a month between updates.  If that person can't upgrade at
49 least once every three months, I'd suggest another distro.  At some
50 point, it just becomes to much trouble.
51
52 That's not a knock at the devs either.  It's just the way Gentoo is
53 since it follows upstream so closely.  In all honesty, way back, it was
54 even harder to upgrade a machine way out of date.  The devs who code
55 emerge have made a lot, make that huge, progress in making emerge find
56 ways around blocks and such.  Still, regular updates is easier in my
57 opinion than waiting to long.
58
59 I have to admit tho, if I had a laptop which comes with cooling issues
60 plus being slower than a desktop, I'd likely go to once a month updates
61 unless I could compile on my desktop then move the binaries over to the
62 laptop.
63
64 Glad you got it going and I could help in some small way.
65
66 Dale
67
69
70 P. S. I've been learning Kicad and even ordered some circuit boards.
71 It's getting dangerous over here.  :/