From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Resizing a FAT partition?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 19:26:59
1 On 2015-07-30, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:32:05 +0200, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 >> Firstly I want to shrink the first partition and secondly it is a
5 >> plain FAT32 partition not ext-something. I did not find a
6 >> "resizefat32" or similiar.
7 >
8 > You need fatresize, which doesn't appear to be in portage. The approach
9 > when reducing a partition's size is to first reduce the size of the
10 > filesystem, to slightly less than the final partition size for safety.
11 > Then delete and recreate the partition, with the same starting point.
12 > Finally resize the filesystem to fill the new partition.
13 >
14 >> What tools do I need?
15 >
16 > The easiest way is probably to use GParted, which does all the hard work
17 > for you, just tell it the new size of the partition. It will also create
18 > the second partition for you, as a bonus.
19
20 I've read good things about Parted Magic:
21
22 https://partedmagic.com/
23
24 AFAICT, it's a friendly front-end to parted (as is GParted), but also
25 includes some extra abilities like cloning partitions and disks for
26 backup purposes.
27
28 >> (beside the way to backup the SDcard, reinitialize it, put 2
29 >> partitions on it and copy back the stuff.)
30 >
31 > Given that you should backup any important data before resizing any
32 > filesystem, this may be the easiest method.
33
34 I've had resize operations go pear-shaped on me. I haven't seen it
35 often, but I wouldn't attempt a resize without a backup copy of the
36 partition involved.
39 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Did YOU find a
40 at DIGITAL WATCH in YOUR box
41 gmail.com of VELVEETA?