From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Boot and udev Woes
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:16:47
1 Hi Gentoo.
2
3 I have recently got a FX8350 and all is going very well.
4 After a week of using I have had no issues and then realised I had not
5 set man number of cpus in kernel config.
6
7 This was set to 6. So as FX8350 is an eight core beast. I decided to
8 set to 8.
9
10 Upon reboot the boot hangs at
11
12 waiting for uevents to be processed.
13
14 This hangs for 60 seconds and then starts spitting out the following
15
16 timeout killing /sbin/modprobe -bv xcpu_vendor 0002 + lots of 4 long
17 numbers. Sorry, I cannot trap these as they fly by.
18
19 in a continous loop.
20
21 Reset required.
22
23 Booting from old kernel is still ok (6 cores set).
24
25 Looking in /proc/cpuinfo there are only 6 cores.
26
27 I can boot ok from Windows which shows 8 cores and I have also updated
28 BIOS to latest version.
29
30 Any ideas
31
32 Is there any way to detect or test that I using 8 cores?
35 John D Maunder