From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sound card is only usable by one application at a time
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 01:12:49
1 On 12/03/2009 01:23 PM, Yoav Luft wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > On my dell Vostro 1520, with intel hda ICH9 82801I sound card
4 > (xSTAC92HD71B3, according to /proc/asound/card0/codec), only one
5 > application can access the sound card at a time...
6
7 I hope Nikos's suggestion will help you, but just in case it doesn't:
8
9 Most people don't have any need for more than one application to use
10 the sound card at the same time. Do you have a special purpose in
11 mind, such as mixing multiple sound tracks, professional-quality
12 sound editing, film editing with special sound effects, or something
13 similar?
14
15 If you do, then you will be one of the very few people who actually
16 needs to use pulseaudio, because it will allow multiple applications
17 to use one sound card at the same time. That is the purpose of
18 pulseaudio. But, as I said, very few people really need it.
19
20 Can you explain more about what you are trying to do?