From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beagle vs. Panda vs. Raspberry on Gentoo
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:07:07
1 On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:59:28 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Which of these would be the best choice for Gentoo? I have a
5 > Beaglebone but now I'm looking for something with video for HD
6 > playback.
7 >
8 > - Grant
9
10 I'd say none of them (yet).
11
12 It doesn't matter what other features in the form of fancy IO and neat
13 circuitry is put on such boards, they are all limited by what the CPU
14 can do. If the board has a RealTek chip, it;s limited by what the
15 RealTek dev software provides.
16
17 I have a Raspberry Pi, and doing what it was designed to do is
18 something it is very good at. It was designed to teach kids how to
19 program. It was not designed to play full HD video.
20
21 The Pi suffers with playback the very same way all the other ARM media
22 players out there suffer, whether they be AC Ryan, Medi8ter, Xtreamer
23 or whatever - as soon as you have to run some controlling software as
24 well as the codec, and especially if you have to decode audio on the
25 device (as opposed to having the amp do it in hardware), it stutters.
26 The cpu just cannot cut it.
27
28 The next generation of ARM chips and software are reputed to be beefed
29 up to deal with this very issue, and Google will turn up many valid
30 opinions about this. Meanwhile, you can get it to work, just be aware
31 things are not 100% there yet (for reasonable definitions of "there"
32 starting with 720p).
33
34 The cheapest solution by far and the easiest to get working is a
35 Raspberry Pi and an OpenElec built for it. You need one 30 bucks Pi,one
36 HDMI tv and one ultra cheap SD card and you are good to go ;-)
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com