From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Rules
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:16:35
1 > > > > > Multiple great ideas have already been suggested in this
2 > > > > > thread. Is this the first time they've been conceived and
3 > > > > > shared? Why hasn't work begun on them? Why isn't work
4 > > > > > completed on them? Because living costs money and Gentoo
5 > > > > > doesn't pay.
6 > > > >
7 > > > > > I've been in business for 7 years and I'd like to take a shot at
8 > > > > > designing a system that would pay Gentoo developers to develop.
9 > > > >
10 > > > >
11 > > > > Oh, I've taken this approach several times. My simple idea was to
12 > > > > for an individual or company to solicit specific things they want,
13 > > > > like a meta package for secure E-commerce. I'd 'Poney' up the
14 > > > > funds and the greater community benefits.
15 > > > >
16 > > > >
17 > > > > No takers. I'd throw a few thousand dollars at such a venture.
18 > > > > I'm sure other would donate to. Anyone interested? (serious
19 > > > > doubts among the dev ranks).....
20 > > > >
21 > > > >
22 > > > > Gentoo is a 'boys club' and any mention of using it formally to
23 > > > > make money (for the greater gentoo community) sends the squirrels
24 > > > > with their "nuts" running for cover.
25 > > >
26 > > > How about this.
27 > > >
28 > > > You create an account on the Program's website and choose which herd
29 > > > or project you want to support. Your selection can be changed as
30 > > > often as you like, and you can view a report corresponding herds and
31 > > > historical support.
32 > > >
33 > > > The Program's maintainers set up affiliate accounts with as many
34 > > > websites as possible. Amazon, Buy.com, etc. When you want to make
35 > > > a purchase from one of these sites, you first log into your account
36 > > > and use the provided affiliate link. The Program distributes the
37 > > > associated affiliate payouts as you have specified. Each affiliate
38 > > > payout and support payout would be trackable on the website to
39 > > > ensure integrity.
40 > > >
41 > > > Of course there are details to be worked out, but I can't think of
42 > > > anything that would block the project.
43 > > >
44 > > > I've made three purchases from Amazon in the last week or two.
45 > > > Those should have benefited the portage devs.
46 > > >
47 > > > This is very simple and, of course, applicable to a lot more than
48 > > > Gentoo, which makes me wonder if it has already been implemented
49 > > > somewhere.
50 > > >
51 > > > - Grant
52 > >
53 > > What do you think fellows? Good idea? Bad idea? Am I the only one
54 > > who thinks monetary support would stimulate Gentoo development?
55 > >
56 > > - Grant
57 >
58 > I think this is a good idea, and it appears that Amazon.com already
59 > supports that kind of thing from what you're saying here.l I don't
60 > know if money would help the project, but I do know that personally I
61 > don't have much time to devote to my hobbies like Gentoo, but have a
62 > lot more time for work than pleasure. So, for some of the development
63 > community, money might really help free up some resources.
64
65 That's what I'm thinking Dan. I emailed Amazon about this yesterday
66 and we'll see what they say. If it's OK, I'm going to set up an
67 affiliate account, pick a beneficiary, and try to get people to buy
68 via the link right away. That's the quick start.
69
70 Does anyone have a web server they would lend me a page of? I have
71 one but it hosts my business website and I don't want it to become the
72 target of super-savvy folk. ftp, ssh, even copy-paste would be
73 greatly appreciated. Just one page.
74
75 - Grant
76 --