From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Recommend C source browser/editor?
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 20:52:32
1 Would anybody care to recommend a tool for browsing around (and
2 editing) a tree of somebody-else's C code?
3
4 I prefer emacs for day-to-day editing of my code (when I know what's
5 where), but I'm looking for something to browse around a tree of
6 unfamiliar source code and make minor changes. I briefly tried
7 emacs+cscope at a few points in the past, but it just never worked
8 very well.
9
10 It would be nice to have something that I can just point at a tree of
11 source files and not to have to spend a lot of time setting up a
12 "project" or "workspace" or whatever...
13
14 Mostly I'd like to be able to:
15
16 * Click on a function and list places from which it is called().
17
18 * Click on a function call and goto it's definition.
19
20 I don't care at all about debugging. This is embedded, real-time code
21 for which a debugger is pretty useless.
22
23 It would be nice to be able configure a function key to run an
24 arbitrary shell command that will run a "make" to build a binary,
25 download the binary to the target hardware, and start it.
26
27 If it can parse gcc error messages from a "make" command, that would
28 be nice, but not required.
29
30 I run mostly a GTK based system (but usually have quite a few QT
31 libraries installed to support things like Wireshark).
32
33 Any suggestions?