From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 19:47:23
1 On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 10:28 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2020-04-02, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 7:29 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
6 wrote:
7 > >> On 2020-04-02, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> I've been wondering if older fairly generic motherboards (7-8 years
10 > >> old) from the likes of Asrock would be able to boot from an NVMe card
11 > >> using a PCIe adapter like this:
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >
15 https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Adapter-Express-Controller-Expansion/dp/B075MDH28Y
16 > >>
17 > >> I suspect not...
18 >
19 > > The questions section says it will only boot from the card if the BIOS
20 > > supports the MB booting from NVMe drives
21 >
22 > Obvioiusly, boards can only boot from devices that are supported by
23 > the BIOS. The question is when did NVMe support in BIOSes become
24 > common?
25 >
26 > --
27 > Grant
28
29 Common? Don't know. Possible? Since probably 2011 with the right UEFI. If
30 your Asrock has UEFI/BIOS updates in the last couple of years I'd guess you
31 have a good chance.
32
33 Asrock gives you a place to ask questions:
34
35 https://www.asrock.com/support/index.us.asp
36
37 Give them a try.