From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:58:57
1 On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > They always worked great using the NVidia blob drivers, but
5 > using NVidia drivers was a constant source of minor pain. Often kernel
6 > updates had to be postponed until NVidia driver support caught up, and
7 > they too dropped support and forced me to replace a board that was
8 > still working perfectly.
9
10 The "waiting to catch up issue" is the reason I switched to the LTS
11 kernels. If the kernel got a minor bump the NVidia drivers still worked.
12
13 When a new LTS kernel came out NVidia would have a new driver
14 almost immediately and through the life of that LTS kernel I got
15 easy kernel updates and easy NVidia driver updates.
16
17 I don't personally remember NVidia ever dropping a card totally
18 but I did get confused for awhile when they started segmenting their
19 drivers by different families and it was up to me to figure out which
20 driver package handled my card.
21
22 - Mark