From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New PC, new boot concepts
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:38:46
1 On Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:10:26 PM behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > > The advantage of efi over bios is that the boot loader doesn't have to
3 > > embed anything in the mbr, the post mbr gap, or the bios boot
4 > > partition.
5 >
6 > I just wanted to say that there is another advantage too!
7 > MS WIndows7 support booting from GPT partition tables,
8 > only if you are using the UEFI. (I dont know about Windows8)
9 > I wanted to use GPT on a dual boot system, so I enabled UEFI on my laptop,
10 > and I am using GRUB2 as bootloader.
11 > Everything is working great.
12
13 Just to add a little extra detail before others run into the same.
14
15 Not ALL UEFI systems work with MS Windows 7. Without a compatibility part for
16 the VGA-console, the install will fail.
19 Joost