From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconciling users and services
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:12:31
1 >> I have some users on a system and some services. How can I make sure
2 >> only certain users can log into certain services? Do I need to
3 >> explicitly define which users can log into each service? Are there
4 >> different types of users so that some can only log into certain
5 >> services?
6 >>
7 >> For example, I know any user that has their shell set to /bin/nologin
8 >> can't log into a shell. How can I check on users' shell settings?
9 >>
10 >> - Grant
11 >
12 > To do this you configure each service separately (there is no central
13 > registry-type thing for this). You don't say what "services" you are
14 > interested in, so I have to make some assumptions.
15 >
16 > apache, samba, ftp servers, all have their own authentication methods. You
17 > have to research what methods they provide, and choose which is most
18 > appropriate. For instance, Samba can auth against kerberos/ldap or using a
19 > local smbpasswd file. For a specific user to be able to access something via
20 > samba, you ensure they have an entry in AD or a line in smbpasswd.
21 >
22 > For more simple local services, you can use user and group permissions. I have
23 > to restrict cron and wget at work, I find the easiest way is to:
24 > chown root:trusted /usr/bin/wget
25 > chown root:trusted /usr/bin/crontab
26 > users authorized to use wget/cron must then be put in the trusted group.
27 >
28 > cron has it's cron.allow and cron.deny files that you can also use.
29 >
30 > sshd has config options to limit who can do what in sshd_config.
31 >
32 > If you post back with more specifics about what you want to achieve, we can
33 > assist you better.
34
35 As far as open ports, most of my systems only run sshd and cupsd.
36 I've set AllowUsers in sshd_config to only allow my own non-root user
37 to log in, and I've locked down cupsd.conf. However, one of my
38 systems runs things like apache2, postfix, courier-imap, saslauthd,
39 mysql, and sshd. I set them up to be secure when I installed them,
40 but I wonder about the different users on my system (none of them with
41 shell access) and their access to the different services. Should I go
42 through each of these services and set up something similar to
43 AllowUsers so that only certain users have access to certain services?
44
45 On the subject of users, there are a lot of users in /etc/passwd,
46 although most of them have /bin/false or /sbin/nologin. There are 8
47 users who have a different shell defined. The first 3 are fine:
48
49 root /bin/bash
50 user /bin/bash
51 cart /bin/bash
52
53 The next 3 are probably fine:
54
55 sync /bin/sync
56 shutdown /sbin/shutdown
57 halt /sbin/halt
58
59 But I don't recognize the following 2. Should I userdel them?
60
61 operator /bin/bash
62 guest /dev/null
63
64 mysql only needs to connect to a daemon running on the same system,
65 and I think it does so via a unix socket as opposed to tcp. I can see
66 from netstat that /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock is connected, there is
67 no mention of a tcp mysql connection, and nmap does not show a mysql
68 port to be open. Is there anything else I should do as far as locking
69 down mysql? I'm the only one with shell access to the system.
70
71 I would appreciate any other security advice regarding any of the
72 above-mentioned services.
73
74 Thanks,
75 Grant