From: Jean-Christophe Bach <jc.bach@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Question about binary packages
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 22:52:08
1 Hi list,
2
3 I was wondering how it works for binary packages when they are compiled:
4
5 Are all binary packages compiled on Gentoo infrastructure after a source
6 upload from the maintainer, or are there any binary packages compiled on
7 maintainers computers and then uploaded on Gentoo infra?
8
9 In fact, we had lots of trolls^W discussions about this point with
10 friends and colleagues who use other distros. And there is a security
11 question: do we allow uploads from developers without being sure the
12 binary comes from the corresponding sources? (the maintainer may be
13 malicious, or his computer may be compromised) The « binary upload »
14 practice is very common in other distro communities such as Debian.
15 Therefore I would like to know if we also have this flaw in Gentoo.
16 (and what do you think about it)
17
18 Thank you,
19