From: Enzo Rapagnetta <kikko96@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xsane only works as root
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:07:21
1 On 18:32 Wed 30 Jul , Justin Findlay wrote:
2 > On AD 2008 July 30 Wednesday 03:49:23 PM -0700, Grant wrote:
3 > > I can't figure out where the device file is. With the scanner
4 > > connected and powered on I did an 'updatedb && locate scanner' and it
5 > > didn't come up with anything in /dev, I don't have a /dev/usb/
6 > > directory, and the output of 'ls /dev/usb*' is the same with the
7 > > scanner on or off. Any idea where that file might be? Those two
8 > > commands also don't mention it.
9 >
10 > Another way to get info is to power on the scanner and plug it in, then
11 > `modprobe -r` the appropriate kernel module(s) and then modprobe them
12 > while doing `tail -F /var/log/messages`. The kernel (udev) will create the
13 > appropriate /dev entries upon successful modprobe.
14 >
15 > In order for your user to be registered as a member of a group you have
16 > to log completely out (including your X session) and back in. You can
17 > verify your group memberships with the groups command. Judging from
18 > what you've said I bet it was merely an issue of adding your user to the
19 > scanner or usb group. My experience with usb scanners is they generally
20 > just work whereas when I start up my SCSI scanner I always have to
21 > remodprobe the kernel drivers and then `chown :scanner /dev/sg? &&
22 > chmod 0770 /dev/sg?`, but there's probably a better (right) way to do
23 > that. :-)
26 > Justin
27 Hello,user is in the plugdev and lp groups too?
28 Regards
29 --
30 Unix Veritates