From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Copy directories in a special manner
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:24:57
1 On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 18:05:05 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I want to do the following as fast as possible and with less
5 > system load as possible:
6 >
7 > There are two directories called 'source' and 'target'.
8 >
9 > 'source' gets updated via 'svn up', then it gets compiled.
10 > Since there is no "make install" or similiar, installation
11 > is done via copying 'source' to 'target'. A symlink from
12 > /usr/local/bin/<name> to the compiled executabe in (now)
13 > 'target' completes the installation.
14 >
15 > BUT:
16 > 'source' is a VERY big directory and copying it to 'target'
17 > after each svn up is a PAIN.
18 >
19 > Now I need a copy mechanism which does the following:
20 > * copy all files with newer date to 'target' -- this can be done via
21 > 'cp -u'
22 > * copy all files which only exist in 'source' to 'target' --
23 > this can be done also with 'cp -u'
24 > * BUT: Delete all files from 'target' which do not longer exist in
25 > 'source'
26 >
27 > The last point gives me headaches. Scanning both directory after
28 > 'cp -u' has done its job may take as long as a "blind copy" from
29 > 'source' to 'target' after 'target' was initially removed.
30 >
31 > Is there any "lean method" to do what is described above ?
32 >
33 > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
34 > Best regards,
35 > mcc
38 The tool you are looking for is 'rsync'.
42 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
43 Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
44 Then, when you do, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes.