From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 10:54:15
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 02/19/2014 04:50 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 04:34:35 -0600, Daniel Campbell wrote:
6 >
7 >>> How is putting systemd setting in a profile that a user has to
8 >>> consciously choose to use forcing anything on anyone? Profiles
9 >>> are the essence of choice but it appears you only want the
10 >>> choices you approve of to be available.
11 >
12 >> Perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. Logically, a "non systemd"
13 >> profile would necessitate either a systemd profile, or require
14 >> the default to already ship systemd. I hadn't considered the
15 >> prior existence of systemd profiles, which we currently have, so
16 >> afaict the issue is mostly moot.
17 >
18 > We already have non-systemd profiles. Until recently that is all we
19 > had.
20 >
21 >> Choices are great until the existence of other choices infringes
22 >> on mine. Profiles prevent that, so I have no problem with
23 >> systemd profiles. The problem lies with evangelists who aren't
24 >> happy with systemd being *a* choice. They want systemd to be
25 >> *the* choice, *the* default. That is what I take issue with.
26 >
27 > Why are you so concerned about the default, not that anyone in
28 > this thread has suggested making systemd the default, not even
29 > Canek? If you cannot use eselect profile set, Gentoo is not for you
30 > anyway? The handbook tells you to select a profile quite early in
31 > the installation, there is no default - portage complain loudly if
32 > you haven't chosen a profile, so I fail to see how anyone can force
33 > systemd (or openrc for that matter) on users when the choice must
34 > be made.
35 >
36 > There are technical arguments for and against systemd, which is why
37 > this thread was started, rhetoric about forcing default profiles on
38 > people when there is no such thing as a default profile only serve
39 > to cloud the real issues.
43 Ah. It's been a while since I installed Gentoo; I wasn't aware that
44 portage would yell at you for not choosing a profile, or that one
45 wasn't already set. In that case there's nothing for me to say wrt
46 defaults.
47
48 Insistence upon technical-only discussion is a bit dishonest imo, as
49 free software is more than code. Without the social practices,
50 community, etc, there wouldn't be free software. So I think
51 non-technical concerns can be relevant to discussions on a project,
52 especially ambitious ones that seek to greatly change the ecosystem.