From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] checksumming files
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:57:25
1 On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Almost every time I split a large file >1G into say 200k chunks, then ftp it
3 > to a server and then:
4 >
5 > cat 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > completefile ; md5sum -c completefile
6 >
7 > if fails. Checking the split files in turn I often find 1 or two chunks that
8 > fail on their own md5 checks. Despite that the concatenated file often works
9 > (e.g. if it is a video file it'll play alright).
10 >
11 > Can you explain this? Should I be using a different check to verify the
12 > integrity of the ftp'd file?
13
14 Obviously something is going wrong... without knowing why that, I
15 suggest you emerge par2cmdline and use it to create some recovery
16 blocks. That way you can repair/reassemble the pieces when they get to
17 the other side.