From: Steve <Gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SSH brute force attacks and blacklist.py
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:51:21
1 I can't believe that I'm the only person with this, so it's probably
2 worth asking.
3
4 I'm one of the (many) people who has opportunists trying usernames and
5 passwords against SSH... while every effort has been made to secure this
6 service by configuration; strong passwords; no root login remotely etc.
7 I would still prefer to block sites using obvious dictionary attacks
8 against me.
9
10 I used to use DenyHosts - but that became annoying as it used rather a
11 lot of resources (and relied upon tcp wrappers... which, I'm informed
12 are somewhat old-fashioned)
13
14 I migrated to try using iptables as my firewall and using blacklist.py -
15 which I got working after some minor config-tweaking. I'm aware that
16 there is configuration in the blacklist.py script for BLOCKING_PERIOD -
17 but what I really miss the "blocked forever" nature of the DenyHosts
18 alternative.... though I prefer every other aspect of the
19 iptables/blacklist.py approach.
20
21 Has anyone else resolved this? As far as I'm concerned, once I detect
22 someone has attempted a brute force (which blaclist.py does
23 fantastically well) what I want is for no further communication to be
24 accepted from the IP address - even after I reboot etc. While I don't
25 know which sites I want to be accessible from in advance, I can be sure
26 none of them would launch a brute force attack against me. :-)
27
28 Recommendations?
29
30 I'm looking for the neatest Gentoo way to do this... rather than
31 recommendations for how to write something to do what I want from scratch...
32
33 Steve
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list