From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB Mouse
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 20:23:53
1 I have a USB mouse which likes to freeze up every now and then.
2 Whenever I don't use my box for a little while (not necessarily long
3 enough for the screen saver to kick in) and then touch the mouse, it
4 will freeze right away or within a few seconds. Leaving X and starting
5 X again doesn't fix the problem: I have to actually reboot.
6
7 The only "solution" I have found is to make sure I use the keyboard to
8 "wake up" the system. If I touch a key and wait a few seconds (that's
9 important; if I use the mouse too fast it may still freeze up), I can
10 safely use the mouse again without any trouble.
11
12 So it looks like the USB mouse is going to sleep after a short period
13 of inactivity and then refuses to wake up ... unless I use the
14 keyboard first. There's a "USB selective suspend/resume and wakeup" in
15 the kernel which I have made sure to deselect but that doesn't fix the
16 problem.
17
18 Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone explain to me why this
19 is happening? Does anyone know of a real solution?
20
21 P.S. I have been running with the sys-kernel/mm-sources kernel which
22 seems to behave much better but it's not officially supported so I
23 went back to the regular sys-kernel/gentoo-sources kernel. I notice
24 it's improved since the last time I tried it (i.e. the mouse doesn't
25 freeze up as often anymore).
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list