From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] abi_x86_32
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:40:03
1 On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM, Raffaele BELARDI
2 <raffaele.belardi@××.com> wrote:
3 > I recently switched from no- to multilib. In yesterday's emerge I got
4 > tens of blockers due to conflict with emul-linux-x86-xlibs-20130224.
5 > I solved as suggested in
6 >
7 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-953900.html?sid=f7a643eca8ec01540164578f372c374f
8 >
9 > and
10 >
11 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/461608
12 >
13 > that is by adding abi_x86_32 to USE and unmasking
14 > "emul-linux-x86-xlibs-20130224-r1", but didn't really understand what I
15 > was doing.
16 >
17 > Can anybody shed some light on this USE flag and what's going on with
18 > multilib?
19
20 Old binary emul-linux* multilib packages are being replaced by a true
21 compiled-from-source multilib solution. There are a few packages still
22 need to be updated but it mostly works already. I think it will allow
23 for more fine-grained dependencies as well for 32-bit apps on 64-bit
24 systems.
25
26 Like the forum post you linked says, instead of setting abi_x86_32 as
27 a USE flag, what you can do in your make.conf is set:
28
29 ABI_X86="64 32"
30
31 (if you want to build both 32bit and 64bit)
32
33 You may need to unmerge the emul-linux* packages manually then emerge
34 deep world and figure out if you have any packages that have not yet
35 been updated to the new way of doing things.