From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to set udev rule?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:06:16
1 On Sun, August 30, 2009 21:38, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag 30 August 2009 19:29:39 schrieb Alex Schuster:
5 >> I have to change the bus from usb to scsi, then it works. But what
6 >> about unmounting? Is is possible to have it unmounted after I pull the
7 >> memory stick?
8 >
9 > How do want to umount something that's not there anymore? You have to
10 > umount _before_ you pull it.
11
12 You can force the umount using -l (no, it's not documented in the man
13 page). You can use this to umount a volume *after* it has been physically
14 removed. And some people use this crap on udev rules to remove the
15 volume when they unplug the pendrive. Then they wonder why the heck
16 the file is not where it should be. I guess they never heard of cached
17 writes.
18
19 The correct thing to do is of course to umount it before,
20 and then unplug it or whatever.
21
22 If you truly want to umount after, you should at least do a sync before
23 removing the device. In any case, if you don't follow the logical
24 order of the things don't complain if then you find that the files that
25 should be there are not there when you need them.
26
27 If you truly love risk, just use umount -l, but you have to promise not
28 to cry if the fs breaks or your files are not writen when you sudenly
29 unplug the device.
32 Jesús Guerrero