From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 or kernel config - unable to properly boot
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:14:58
1 2013/8/27 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
4 > 2013/8/27 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
7 >> 2013/8/27 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
8 >>
9 >>>
10 >>> 2013/8/27 Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
11 >>>
12 >>>> Am 26.08.2013 20:11, schrieb Francisco Ares:
13 >>>> > Hi, Michael, thanks for you reply.
14 >>>> >
15 >>>> > Please forgive me for not having mentioned grub2-mkconfig and
16 >>>> > grub2-install. The mentioned grub.cfg was a sample from a working
17 >>>> system,
18 >>>> > with legacy grub:0, from which I have recovered parts of the kernel
19 >>>> command
20 >>>> > line parameters.
21 >>>> >
22 >>>> > After "genkernel" finished to build the kernel, I've issued:
23 >>>> >
24 >>>> > grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
25 >>>> > grub2-install /dev/sda
26 >>>> >
27 >>>> > Sorry for this.
28 >>>> > Francisco
29 >>>> On a failed boot, can you reach the rescue system from the initramfs?
30 >>>> (The message is something like "enter password for rescue or ctrl+d) If
31 >>>> so, are you able mount your actual root partiton (sda5) manually?
32 >>>>
33 >>>>
34 >>> No, unfortunately. But I am able to use the grub console prior to boot.
35 >>>
36 >>> By doing so, I have listed the command about to be used to boot the
37 >>> first entry in the grub menu, it installs some modules. In regard of file
38 >>> systems, it only loads a ext2 module, and the root partition is ext4
39 >>> formated.
40 >>>
41 >>> Although this kernel has ext2, ext3 and ext4 built in (not modules), can
42 >>> this be a cue? Right now I am preparing to format the root partition as
43 >>> ext2, just to check this out.
44 >>>
45 >>> Thanks again
46 >>> Francisco
47 >>>
48 >>>
49 >> It didn't work, so I suppose the embedded ext2, ext3 and ext4 in the
50 >> kernel is not the issue, and might be working. Going to explore the grub
51 >> console now.
52 >>
53 >> Thanks
54 >> Francisco
58 > In the grub console, prior to boot, I was able to mount any partition
59 > using commands like:
60 >
61 > root=(hd0,msdos5)
62 >
63 > and then listing the directory tree structure with " ls / " gave the
64 > expected results.
65 >
66 > Francisco
70 I think I might have found it. Although I have selected in the kernel
71 "menuconfig" to compress the initramfs using gzip and deselected all other
72 decompression forms. a simple "file initramfs-xxx" told me that it was "XZ
73 compressed data", so now I am rebuilding the kernel with all decompression
74 algorithms built in.
75
76 I will (hope) soon post the results.
77