From: Andrew Frink <andrew.frink@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X.org V7.0 partial success
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:38:36
1 On 1/11/06, Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > I used xorg-x11-6.8.99 on my laptop so far because its i915 chipset
4 > wasn't properly supported in 6.8.2. Now the last update, -r4, broke the
5 > support again (or so I read on some forum when I investigated why X
6 > wouldn't start any more), so I decided to give 7.0 a try. The usual
7 > great Gentoo HOWTOs helped me a lot
8 > (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Modular_Xorg) and apart from a few
9 > moanings due to packages missing in package.keywords, things went fine.
10 > But then the keyboard and mouse drivers were missing. esearch told me:
11 >
12 > * x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
13 > Latest version available: 1.0.0
14 > Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
15 > Size of downloaded files: 214 kB
16 > Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
18 > License: X11
19 >
20 > * x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
21 > Latest version available: 1.0.0
22 > Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
23 > Size of downloaded files: 191 kB
24 > Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
26 > License: X11
27 >
28 > Installing them fixed almost all remaining problems. But the package name
29 > puzzles me. Are these originally XF86 modules that x.org just decided to
30 > be compatible with, or is the name a copy-n paste error? Should I file a
31 > Bugzilla report?
32 >
33 > The remaining problems concern DRM which isn't really essential (I get a
34 > "libGL error: open DRM failed (Operation not permitted)) and some fonts
35 > that don't seem to be included any more and that I guess I just have to
36 > reinstall. So far the modularized X looks promising, I'll do a
37 > revdep-rebuild and some more testing tonight. Does anybody have an idea
38 > about the DRM issue?
39 >
40 > regards
41 > Matthias
42 >
43 > --
44 > I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
45 > Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665
48 > Matthias,
49 try adding
50 'Section "DRI"
52 Group "video"
53 endsection'
54 to your xorg.conf
55 and no those are not the orginal packages, Xorg decided to move to a more
56 flexable develepment model(imho) that splits alot of the parts up, if you
57 look the driver for the i915 card will be x11-drivers/XF86-video-i810, it
58 was done this way so things could be updated faster. instead of 6 months for
59 a new driver it might be a week
60
61 Cynyr.
64 if you are tired of virii look at http://fedora.redhat.com/
65 and for those of you still using AOL's messanger
66 try out http://gaim.sf.net/... and for photoshop see http://www.gimp.org
67 use http://www.gimp.org/