From: Willie <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unexpected Power Loss!
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 03:53:21
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Andrew Lowe <250520E@××××××××××.au> wrote:
2
3 > On 14/11/2012 8:42 AM, Willie wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hey Everyone,
6 >>
7 >> I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. It seems that
8 >> whenever I am in Linux my computer will just turn off. Not shutdown like
9 >> I did "shutdown -r now". Just completely off out of the blue at random
10 >> times. I have been reading the logs but there is nothing helpful at all.
11 >> It is never the same thing on the logs when it does just shutdown.
12 >> Sometime I can boot up and it will go off when it says "Waiting for udev
13 >> events to finish" or something like that.
14 >>
15 >> I haven't done any major upgrades in awhile, there is really nothing
16 >> different. I installed Windows last night to see if it is a hardware
17 >> thing but nope it stays on. I also tried reinstalling Gentoo on a couple
18 >> of occasions on another Hard Drive but it just shutdown while I was
19 >> getting it done.
20 >>
21 >> Any help is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to be in Windows
22 >> after I spent all that time customizing my XFCE4 desktop.
23 >>
24 >> --
25 >>
26 >> Willie Matthews
27 >> matthews.willie@×××××.com <mailto:matthews.willie@gmail.**com<matthews.willie@×××××.com>
28 >> >
31 > Willy,
32 > Before you rebuild kernels etc, do you have a live CD, sysrescue,
33 > Gentoo minimal install, any of the Myth live CD's, lying around? Boot that
34 > and see if a "bog standard" configuration boots and displays the problem.
35 > If it gets up and is stable, then there is something in your actual config.
36 > If you have sysrescue, sysresccd.org, if it boots and is stable, you can
37 > then run a memory tester to see if anything manifests itself.
38 >
39 > Regards,
40 > Andrew
44 I tried to reinstall Gentoo twice, both made the computer lose power. I
45 will be running the memory tester tonight when it is time to go to sleep
46 for the night.
50 Willie Matthews
51 matthews.willie@×××××.com