From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a good replacement for XFCE?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 23:13:56
1 On 2016-09-25, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> And I find it very useful to be able to leave 2 of the screens as-is
4 >> while I switch the third one to do something else.
5 >>
6 >>> The results of your searches and experiments seem to suggest that it
7 >>> is n unusual configuration
8 >>
9 >> It is, though I don't know why -- I find it far more useful than have
10 >> one giant desktop.
11 >>
12 >>> and I'm wondering what particular itch this scratches.
13 >>
14 >> It allows me to work efficiently on complex tasks while concurrently
15 >> responding to emails and handling interruptions.
16 >
17 > I do something with a sort-of similar result. One big desktop across
18 > all screens with at least 6 virtual desktop. Stuff I need always
19 > there (like mail and IM clients) go off to one side on the small
20 > monitor, pinned to all virtual desktops. None of the other real work
21 > stuff goes on the small monitor.
22 >
23 > This won't suit Grant though, as he said his nVidia card can't big
24 > desktop across 3 physical 1600 monitors
25
26 That part of the problem _might_ go away. The card is scheduled for
27 replacement soon. It's no longer supported by the latest nvidia
28 driver, and it has required me to mask xorg-server 1.18, which, in
29 turn has forced me to mask the latest stable versions of a couple
30 other things. That's not a big deal yet, but it's only going to get
31 worse. So I've got a new nvidia card picked out. The old one is only
32 8 years old, and it still works perfectly, but I guess that's
33 progress. Though all of the nvidia cards supported by latest drivers
34 have fans. :/
35
36 I've been testing the openbox/tint2 setup on my single-screen laptop
37 using an Xnest display with three screens. So far, so good.
38
39 <whine>
40 Whenever I report a bug related to multi-screen support, the excuse is
41 always "none of the developers have access to multi-screen systems, so
42 nobody can work on this". Really? People who are developing X11
43 desktop infrastructure don't know enough to type "Xnest -scrns 3
44 -geometry 640x480 :1"? I think what they actually mean is "none of
45 the developers use multi-screen setups in their daily work, so nobody
46 cares about this enough to fix it." I'd have a lot more repspect for
47 that -- at least it's honest.
48 </whine>
51 Grant