From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] gentoo vmware guest on winXP
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:57:07
1 I've been monkeying around with a vmware appliance of gentoo.2008.0
2 from July. Downloaded from bagvapp.com.
3
4 It fired right up inside vmware running on winXP with no problems.
5
6 But now updating I'm finding I cannot get a newer kernel compiled that
7 will boot. The original kernel is 2.6.24-r8 and boot just fine.
8
9 I attempted to compile a somewhat leaner meaner version. It appears
10 the original was a `genkernel' creation.
11
12 I paid close attention to SCSI settings in the original and any other
13 settings having to do with disks.
14
15 However my attempts consistently break out with the message:
16 /dev/sda3 is an invalid device
17
18 Of course the same /dev/sda3 is recognized fine if I boot from the
19 original kernel.
20
21 You'd think having a kernel on hand that works.. it would'nt be to
22 tough to build a newer one using setting where possible from the old,
23 but I'm finding it is proving to be quite difficult.
24
25 Admittedly my skill level is rather low but still with one to
26 plagiarize from seem like it should be a shoo-in.
27
28 I've posted two horribly long configs here:
29
30 http://www.jtan.com/~/reader/massive/
31
32 During menuconfig I ran a separate menuconfig in the old kernel
33 directory so I had them both on screen trying to copy what seemed
34 important.
35
36 I've already tried many attempts here but still something I'm missing
37 thats causing the kernel not to recognize /sda3 as a valid device.
38 I hoped it would be something simple like SCSI_BUSLOGIC but that is
39 not the case.