From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} "dumb" ethernet mover
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 00:22:31
1 >> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
2 >> desktop attaches to my TV.  I'm using a small wireless router to send
3 >> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
4 >> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
5 >> but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
6 >> only firewall/router duties.  Am I overlooking another option?  I want
7 >> a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
8 >> room to the other.
9 >
10 > You could use a pair of powerline adaptors to route the ethernet across
11 > the mains wiring. I use them for my MythTV front end, because SWMBO would
12 > go apeshit if I tried running ethernet cables through the living room.
13
14 I thought about that, and it would be perfect except that I'm really
15 into audio and I don't want to increase the interference in my
16 apartment's electricity.
17
18 - Grant