From: Dylan Garrett <dylan.garrett@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge xfce4 with installed lprng. :-(
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:40:03
1 On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:41 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, excellent people!
3 >
4 > Having got X11 installed and "working", I need a window manager. Why
5 > not XFCE, as supplied on the installation disk?
6 >
7 > # emerge xfce didn't work - "Portage: Don't know what xfce is".
8 > Scrabbled aroud /usr/portage, then # emerge xfce4 started working.
9 >
10 > Why the 4 do I have to type xfce4, not xfce? Anyhow, that's a minor
11 > point.
12 >
13 > The major point was that portage refused to install xfce because it said
14 > that
15 >
16 > [blocks B ] net-print/lprng (is blocking net-print/cups-1.3.7-r1)
17 > [blocks B ] net-print/cups (is blocking net-print/lprng-3.8.28)
18 >
19 > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
20 > * installed at the same time on the same system.
21 >
22 > . I.e., it wants to override my decision to use lprng as print program
23 > and put in cups instead. This is a bit of a cheek!
24 >
25 > Why isn't xfce configured merely to install "some print daemon", rather
26 > than specifically cups? For that matter, why must it install a print
27 > daemon at all? Not every X user has a printer or wants to print.
28 >
29 > What can I do about this? I really don't want to have to install cups.
30 >
31 > --
32 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
36 Like Sebastian said. Just disable the cups useflag (add -cups to the
37 USE section of your make.conf) and Xfce should no longer depend on
38 cups.