From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Iron penguin on usb?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:22:08
1 On 19/11/14 22:15, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Ok the latest release of livedvd is here:
5 >
6 > https://www.gentoo.org/news/20140826-livedvd.xml
7 from the forum link from the news article
8 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-995118.html
9 "One of the great things about this new livedvd besides that it contains
10 over 1200 packages is that it now supports full / persistency meaning
11 that you can boot this livedvd, make tweaks as you like and reboot while
12 retaining those changes. It's more like a Gentoo to Go if you ask me. "
13 and
14 "Another great feature which will be ported to all minimal install cds
15 is support for UEFI. This image even boots on MAC OSX hardware! Yes you
16 heard it right! "
17
18 nice pie, well done to the gentoo devs
21 > So my understanding is you can put this on a usb stick. Run
22 > gentoo live, download packages, set flags, install packages
23 > and save them to the USB stick? So it's a portable gentoo
24 > workstation on a usb stick?
25 >
26 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/HOWTO
29 > Are these the best instructions to follow to createa usb bootable
30 > live gentoo image? It has to be able to install new packages and
31 > save those to the usb stick.
32 >
33 > I remember some time back (Neil) mentioned a package I was
34 > not aware of (and naturally cannot remmber the name of) that
35 > made creating USB bootable, usable, images on a usb stick
36 > straightforward?
37 >
38 > It even handled grub2, uefi and such?
39 >
40 > suggestions?
43 > James