From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 19:13:49
1 On 24/12/19 18:35, Dale wrote:
2 > I'll try to see if I can get the actual error here in a bit, either a
3 > picture or the actual text. I only need one line because it is the same
4 > for them all except the name and path of the file.
5
6 I've just had an idea ...
7
8 I think it was on LWN they were talking about how a directory scan on
9 linux can take absolutely ages, because as it goes through it pulls
10 everything into cache and knackers the system. (Which is why a lot of
11 programs go through the grief of using direct rather than buffered io.)
12
13 Not sure which developer it was, but they've brought in a new mode which
14 leaves cache untouched (sort of). If it can retrieve the file from
15 cache, it does so. If it's not in cache, it pulls it in, processes it,
16 and drops it. That way the cache does not fill up with recently accessed
17 files that are never going to be touched again, and your system doesn't
18 start swapping like mad to save all this unwanted data.
19
20 Maybe when that is enabled in plasmashell it'll fix the problem ... how
21 big is this directory that's being scanned? If it's similar or larger in
22 size to your ram that could be the problem. Even if it's rather less, if
23 other programs are using up your ram ...
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol