From: Nils Holland <nhg@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge Problems...
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:35:51
1 On 18:13 Mon 31 Jan , Dale wrote:
2 > Nils Holland wrote:
3 > >
4 > > In fact, what I always do is sync one of my machines with an official
5 > > Gentoo mirror via "emerge --sync", and then I just use rsync to
6 > > distribute the updated tree to all my other local machines as in:
7 > >
8 > > rsync --delete -trmv /usr/portage/ <user>@<dest_host>:/usr/portage
9 > >
10 > > One might want to ask rsync to exclude the distfiles directory,
11 > > but I always include it as it oftentimes saves me the download of a
12 > > file I've already downloaded during an emerge on another machine.
13 >
14 > Maybe I am missing something but I have two machines here. I sync to
15 > the Gentoo servers with the main rig and then sync the second rig from
16 > the main rig. All you have to do is start the rsync service and set the
17 > IP address in the SYNC line in make.conf on the second rig. This is my
18 > rsyncd.conf on the main rig:
19 > [...]
20
21 That actually makes sense, it would mean that rsyncd would have to be
22 running and appropriately configured on the local "master" machine,
23 and then it would provide the advantage of being able to sync all
24 other local machines with the local master via a standard "emerge
25 --sync" instead of a relatively long rsync command. Indeed, I guess
26 I'll start doing this here as well.
27
28 However, I have a server hosted at some hosting company as well, and I
29 prefer not to sync it with an official Gentoo mirror, but with my
30 local portage tree, in order to be sure that I have the exact same
31 version of the portage tree on the server that I also use locally. For
32 that case, NAT would prevent my server from contacting an rsync daemon
33 on a local machine, so I'm actually using a locally invoked rsync to
34 "shove" the tree to the server (vs. having the server "fetch" it). I
35 guess that can't easily be changed, but it's not a problem anyway, as
36 my current mode of operation works well.
37
38 Greetings,
39 Nils
43 Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunsorf-Luthe (Germany)
44 Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998