From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Having the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 01:52:27
1 Hello,
2
3 Section 8c of the handbook tells me:
4
5 ===
6
7 You now have the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings in
8 the /etc/env.d/02locale file:
9
10 ===
11
12 Code Listing 3.8: Setting the default system locale in /etc/env.d/02locale
13 LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
14 LC_COLLATE="C"
15
16 ===
17
18 Q1: Do I have the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings?
19 A1: YES [I knew the answer to this one!]
20
21 Q2: Should I?
22 A2: ?
23
24 Q3: If yes, what should I set them to? [The example sets them to a
25 magical value that seems to be related to code listing 3.6, but it is
26 not exactly the same. I am in the united states and I speak english
27 if that helps answer this one.]
28 A3: ?
29
30 Thank you!
31
32 Chris
33
34 PS: In case it is not clear already I have no idea what a locale is
35 and have no preference or what it is so long as gentoo and all my apps
36 are happy.