From: Tony Miller <mcfiredrill@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't get accelerated opengl renderer ati radeon xpress 200M
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:22:50
1 On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Why are libX11-xcb.so.1, libX11.so.6, libdrm.so.2 in the
4 > /opt/gfx-test/lib directory rather than in /usr/lib as they are on my
5 > machine?
6 Sorry about that, this /opt/gfx-test/ directory was something I
7 created to test a hand compiled X stack. It shouldn't be interfering
8 with running the portage installed X stack, but I should make sure to
9 be completely certain.
12 > Have you followed the Hardware Acceleration Guide's Kernel config
13 > directions?
14 >
15 > I've got the:
16 >
17 > Processor type and features --->
18 > <*> MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support
19 >
20 > Device drivers --->
21 >   Graphics support --->
22 >      <M> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) --->
23 >      <M>  Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI
24 >      support) --->
27 > selected, as well as:
28 >
29 >        <M> ATI Radeon
32 After you mentioned this I decided to check my kernel configuration again.
33
34 Device drivers --->
35 Graphics support --->
36 Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) --->
37 [*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default - NEW DRIVER
38
39 Here's part of the description for this option:
40
41 Choose this option if you want kernel modesetting enabled by default.
42
43 This is a completely new driver. It's only part of the existing drm
44 for compatibility reasons. It requires an entirely different graphics
45 stack above it and works very differently from the old drm stack.
46 i.e. don't enable this unless you know what you are doing it may
47 cause issues or bugs compared to the previous userspace driver stack.
48
49 When kernel modesetting is enabled the IOCTL of radeon/drm
50 driver are considered as invalid and an error message is printed
51 in the log and they return failure.
52
53 This made me reconsider whether I should set this option or not...
54
55 I gave it a try without the option set and I get direct rendering fine.
56
57 tony@o_0 ~ $ glxinfo | grep render
58 direct rendering: Yes
59 OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RS400 5A62) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 NO-TCL
60
61 Now I have card0 in /dev/dri.
62
63 I get about 100 fps now, not extremely fast but certainly a lot better
64 than before!