From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel 2.6.25-r6 oddities; is this kernel really ready for stable?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:55:57
1 Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > >> I run gentoo x86 stable, so that I usually avoid this sort of thing.
7 > I am not suggesting that the vmware stuff should prevent releasing a
8 > kernel. I am suggesting that pages of
9 > cryptic and unusual output, not to mention warnings and deprecation
10 > from the kernel's own make is cause for users to worry about the
11 > kernel and wonder WTF.
14 I run 2.6.25-gentoo-r6 on many amd64 machines, and have not
15 noticed any significant issue or issues above the normal (as
16 I perceive) expected results. Kernel hackers all assume
17 we are their lab-rats, we exist for their tests....
18 (Kind of jaded but from a firmware engineer it is par for the coarse).
21 This may be of little help to you, but, I fell better voicing
22 my beliefs, because I spend countless hours parsing up and down
23 device drivers and hardware issue, related to all kinds of firmware.
26 So just ignore my noise, but, do understand that pleasing the masses
27 is far from the goals of most kernel type hackers. The kernel is
28 full of very bright people that are paid by corporations, whose
29 goals are to make money.
30
31 Jaded (YES) Accurate (YES) useful (?).
34 James