From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Laptop wifi find more than external antenna
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 21:35:50
1 On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I travel with a USB wifi dongle and one of these directional antennas:
3 >
4 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
5 >
6 > Lately I've noticed there are some APs that my laptop's internal wifi
7 > connects to perfectly, but the external antenna can't find whatsoever,
8 > even after a lot of directional experimentation.  I've tried 2
9 > different USB dongles with the same result.  Has anyone had a similar
10 > experience?  I'm baffled because the external antenna is able to make
11 > strong connections to some APs, but it can't even find others that the
12 > laptop's internal card finds and connects to no problem.
13
14 A lot of laptops now have wireless antennas in the display, so the
15 internal wifi may be using better antennae than you expect.