From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub passwords - how do I limit OS selection?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:42:25
1 On 7/30/06, Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi Mark,
3 > Check the official gentoo security guide (docs section).
4 > ...
5 > 2.b. Password protecting GRUB
6 >
7 > GRUB supports two different ways of adding password protection to your
8 > boot loader. The first uses plain text, while the latter uses md5+salt
9 > encryption.
10 > ...
11 > Haven't used it though.
12 > HTH.Rumen
13
14 Rumen,
15 Thanks, but they are just two versions of what I've already tried.
16 That password protection, as shown in the Gentoo Security Guide, only
17 password protects changing the way you boot each option. As shown in
18 the guide it does not protect which version you are allowed to boot.
19
20 Cheers,
21 Mark
22 --