From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge and CPU core usage
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 21:44:26
1 james wrote:
2 > On 12/9/19 1:31 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
6 >> I'm sure trying to get portage to do things in parallel would be a
7 >> programmers nightmare.� It may not even be doable given how the
8 >> tree is
9 >> done or that the complexity of calculating all the options is just to
10 >> much to run in parallel.
11 >
12 > Hello Dale,
13 >
14 > Not sure this is what you are looking for, but it's pretty easy to set
15 > up.
18 > in my /etc/make.conf file I have this::
21 > MAKEOPTS="-j7 -l8"
24 > so it does what you are looking for on larger upgrades. Some files
25 > that do not compile properly, auto limit to one core. My understanding
26 > is there are a variety of mechanism to achieve this.
27 >
28 > The kernel version/setting surely has more options, but they are
29 > optimized according to the types of workloads and the scheduler you
30 > have selected. YOU or anyone can waist weeks and months going down
31 > that pathway.
32 >
33 > Then there are mechanisms to further refine how your system works.
36 > It's a wide open area so read up a bit and find your comfort level.
39 > hth,
40 > James
45 I have that type of setting already.  What I was talking about is when
46 you do a emerge -uaDN world and it is calculating what packages needs
47 updating.  When it is doing that, it only uses one core, thread I guess
48 for those who have threads, which means having a multi-core CPU doesn't
49 help speed things up. Basically, my question was about the emerge
50 command itself not when it is actually compiling packages.
51
52 I read where it was discussed on -dev a couple years or so ago.  I'm not
53 a coder but from what I could understand, it sounded really complicated
54 to have the emerge command able to run calculations in parallel.  It
55 seems there is a couple things that just can not be done that way.
56
57 Maybe one day.  Just maybe.
58
59 Dale