From: "张韡武" <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Does USB devices share bandwidth?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:28:32
1 Hello. My old sparc server have a USB extension card, which provides two
2 USB slots at the back of the machine, driving a USB printer on Slot A.
3 This printer runs at heavy load. because it cannot print the documents
4 as fast as we need, I wish to add another printer. In most casese, we
5 need the two printer working together the same time rather then one
6 after the other.
7
8 The two USB slots provided by the USB card are both OHCI (some USB 1.x
9 stuff, not USB 2.0). So far it seems one single printer uses up all the
10 USB bandwidth (sometimes printer stop there several seconds wait for
11 signal). What would happen if I put another Printer there?
12
13 case A: the new printer uses the bandwidth on slot B, both run as fast
14 as if they were the only USB printer;
15 case B: the new printer share bandwidth with the old one, the result is
16 both printer work 1/2 fast, that is equal to not having bought another
17 printer at all.
18
19 Which one is true?
20