From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Tux AWOL
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 07:32:23
1 On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 17 May 2017 12:14:18 -0700
3 > schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>:
4
5 >> Well, regardless of how well/badly it works, it does seem to have
6 >> everything I don't want: hidden boot messages? logs sent to somewhere?
7 >> No-thank-you.
8 >>
9 >> (Not to mention that newer versions seem to be systemd-only, according
10 >> to the Wiki)
11 >
12 > Actually it's pretty much plug and play: Choose theme, enable,
13
14 I hate plug and play. It means I must trust something not knowing what
15 it does. Of course, plug and play would be great if it didn't usually
16 come with zero documentation. (OK, plug and play for USB doesn't
17 require documentation, but something like Plymouth would be quite
18 different...)
21 > BTW: Newer versions also seem to be KMS-only, so if your graphics
22 > driver doesn't support KMS, plymouth wouldn't work there anyway. For
23 > nvidia proprietary, there's a KMS module which you need to trick into
24 > being loaded very early at boot. This is easy when integrated into
25 > initrd. It also enables me to finally use UEFI and suspend to RAM again
26 > with NVIDIA proprietary without a dead framebuffer after resume. ;-)
27
28 IMO, KMS is great. I finally retired my Atom ION, and I will never
29 again buy Nvidia. Ever. Never again. No more.
30 >
31 > But I think this is also everything you don't want. I just wanted to
32 > take note of the pitfalls for completion reasons.
33 >
34 Your input is appreciated.
35
36 Regards