From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to start thunderbird/firefox in a different language?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:21:03
1 On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:55:58PM +0800, Penguin Lover zhangweiwu@××××××.com squawked:
2 > zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ LANG=en_US abiword
3 >
4 > However this method doesn't work for firefox and thunderbird. Both
5 > always starts in German (note German is the last, a.k.a. least preferred
6 > language for me, in /etc/locale.gen)
7 >
8 > I checked that I do have thunderbird installed with linguas_en_US (see
9 > below emerge output). If it is installed with that language version, it
10 > should be able to run in that language version. How can I start
11 > thunderbird in en_US?
12 >
13 > zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ sudo emerge -pv mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird
14 >
15 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
16 >
17 > Calculating dependencies... done!
18 > [ebuild R ] mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.19 USE="crypt ipv6 ldap replytolist xinerama xprint -bindist -debug -gnome -mozdom -moznopango" LINGUAS="de en_US -af -be -bg -ca -cs -da -el -en -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES -eu -fi -fr -ga -ga_IE -he -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -mk -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
19 >
20 > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
23 For firefox:
24 Open about:config
25 find the variable "general.useragent.locale"
26 set it to the one you want, but replace underscores by hyphens:
27 write en-US for the value if you want US English.
28 write zh-CN if you want simplified chinese.
29
30 For thunderbird, presumeably something similar can be done; but I
31 don't use thunderbird so I cannot try it for you.
32
33 For ease of use, there is also a firefox add-on called "locale switch"
34 that automates the process.
35
36 HTH,
37
38 W
39 --
40 "Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that
41 anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely
42 by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the
43 final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
44 "The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove
45 that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and
46 without faith I am nothing.'
47 "`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't
48 it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you
49 exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't.
50 QED.'
51 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 774 days, 15:39